Boys enjoying books!

Boys enjoying books!
Reading with smiles

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Competency 5 - TAGGING

As a reading teacher and now as an elementary school librarian, it saddens me to see so many children that do not enjoy reading. Sure, up against fast paced video games, a book might not grab some. However, I just know that if those reluctant readers could find something that they "just couldn't put down", those feelings would change. Therefore, I am always looking for information regarding why children don't read and how can I make reading more enjoyable for students. In searching LibraryThing, I found a book titled "The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids become Skilled, Passionate, Habitial, Critical Readers" by Nancie Atwell. In reading the reviews, I can identify with some of the tips the book shares, but I know that I probably won't agree with all. In my opinion, it is always good to look at problems from different perspectives. Finding a tip that will inspire one student will make any resource I seek out well worth it.
Best of the Best, book suggestions , education, elementary library, IB, literacy , look for, march '07, middle school , non-fiction, parent resource , parenting, professional, professional development, professional resource , professional resources , professional study, reading, reading and literacy, reading instruction , Surrey Primary Teachers' Association, teacher professional, teacher resource, teaching, teaching reading, teaching reference, temp , Title 1 Funds, title 1 funds professional development, title one funds

This is the tag cloud found at LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment