Boys enjoying books!

Boys enjoying books!
Reading with smiles

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Competency 2 - RELATED BLOG

I spent many hours searching blog after blog before deciding on which one(s) to follow. I searched blogs using GoogleBlog, Technorati, and BlogSearch. The search engine I used to find the blogs I am posting today was Blog Search - http://blogsearch.google.com/?ui=blg. Specifically, I was looking at ways to help reluctant readers; however, I also broadened my search to include children's literature, children's authors, and elementary librarians. I was amazed at the amount of information at my fingertips.

Ultimately I chose two blogs that I feel are beneficial to me as an elementary school librarian. First, I really enjoyed the blog titled "Toon Books". Finding a way to hook reluctant readers can be very difficult. Graphic novels seem to be making gains in this arena. In my library, I have purchased a few of these books and have been monitoring their circulation. I am finding that they are incredibly popular. I was intrigued by an article featured on this blog that was written two years ago by Michelle Gorman for School Library Journal.

Towards the end of the article she states, "
Teachers and librarians are also beginning to realize that these books are perfect for young readers who are making the transition from picture books to text-only titles. And with graphic novels' hypnotic power to pull kids into a story, they're also perfect for promoting recreational or free voluntary reading--one of the most effective ways to increase literacy and create lifelong readers." I will continue to follow this blog to help me see the correlation between reluctant readers and graphic novels.

Another blog I found interesting was written by children's book author, Trudi Trueit. She discusses many aspects that affect both readers and writers. There are recipes for writers in addition to information on how to help reluctant readers.

As we all know, so many reasons exist as to why someone has become a reluctant reader. Trueit states it nicely, "When kids feel pressured to read at a certain pace or level, reading becomes a chore. It only gets worse if they feel they are falling short of others’ expectations (or their own). Find out why books have lost their enchantment for your reluctant reader and then do what you can to rekindle the magic." What an enlightening statement!

Once we find out why someone is reluctant to read, then we can find ways to open that door. I never want to make a child feel pressured in any way. My goal is always to instill the love of reading. I look forward to other tips Trueit will write on her blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment